Did you know we have a mill at the farm store to grind your own corn?
Here's a super simple recipe to turn your ground corn into delicious homemade polenta! All you need is water and salt!
Thanksgiving is right around the corner! This year, try our stuffing recipe that's sure to be a crowd pleaser. We even have many of these ingredients currently in stock at the farm store!
Traditional Holiday Stuffing
With a bounty of Green String tomatoes still in the farm store, we decided to share with you on of our favorite tomato recipes. This tart makes for a perfect quick and easy way to serve tomatoes!
Tomato and Goat Cheese Tart
Apple pie, one of our favorite desserts here at Green String Farm, especially when made with our farm fresh Green String Apples! This recipe is sugar free and still completely delicious..Make sure to tell us your favorite takes on the classic apple pie!
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Although we usually would make our own pie crust, sometimes you don't have the time. This time we decided to use a pre-made pie shell. Cut peeled apples into thin wedges and put into a large bowl. Stir in lemon juice. In a small bowl, combine cinnamon, cornstarch and salt. Add this mixture to the bowl of apples and stir to coat. Dump into pie plate with bottom crust. Put crumble topping on top of apple filling. Bake pie on the bottom rack for 7 minutes, then move to the middle rack, placing pie on a metal baking sheet to catch spills. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for additional 40 minutes or until juices are bubbling and crust is nicely browned. Then remove from oven and let rest for 1 hour on a wire rack.
In a medium-sized bowl, place the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt, and whisk to combine. Add the butter and chopped almonds, and mix to combine well. Place the bowl in the refrigerator to chill for about 10 minutes or until firm (or the freezer for about 5 minutes).
Arguably the greatest thing about Summer is the produce that we have access to in this beautiful part of the world and this time of the year. And right now the Green String Farm store is bursting with ripe tomatoes! Our favorite uses for these lovelies? Too many to choose from, but here are some of our go to's!
1. Make tomato sauce: (and freeze some of it) that way you can enjoy summer freshness all year round on pizza, pastas, baked eggs, or stews.
2. Caprese Salad: You have to keep it fresh in the summer and nothing says summer more than a good old fashioned caprese salad with fresh basil and mozzarella!
3. Homemade Bloody Mary: Easily one of our favorites because it's delicious, and it's EASY all you gotta do is combine fresh tomatoes, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, salt, pepper, and celery in a blender until you have a smooth consistency, add vodka as needed! :)
4. Sun-Dried Tomatoes: Make these delicious sun-dried tomatoes and keep them for sandwiches and salads. We like using the sun, and we dry the tomatoes outside for 1.5 days! but you can also use your oven and bake the tomatoes for 12 hours!
5. The BLT: A classic! You can't go wrong with this comfort food, and nothing tastes better than when a tomato goes straight from the farm to the sandwich!
We all love to use herbs in our cooking! There's nothing better than a sprig of thyme, muddled mint, or rosemary anything! But if you're looking for other ways to use Green String herbs, look no further, we've compiled a list of our 5 favorite herb uses outside of cooking:
1. Tea: We LOVE using herbs as tea mint and lemon verbena are our favorite!! We dry out Lemon Verbena leaves and simply boil the dried leaves until the water is steeped to our liking, strain and enjoy! It's 100% one of the most relaxing things possible!
2. Skin Care: It's no wonder that the majority of skin products have herbs in the ingredients, but no need to go out an buy all those expensive bottles! Use an herbal steam to calm the skin and to keep pores clean.
3. Muslin Dryer Bags: This is a great way to have your clothes smally herb-y fresh! Create small muslin bags filled with your favorite scented herb and throw it into the dryer with your clothes - they'll come out smelling wonderful!
4. Add to your flower bouquets: Herbs like lavender and rosemary make beautiful additions to flower arrangements or work on their own as lovely bouquets!
5. Muddled: We're back to the drinks because herbs compliment drinks so well! You can go for the obvious muddled mint for mojitos, or get creative with some thyme hard lemonade, or Tarragon iced tea!
1. Artichokes are DELICIOUS: We can never keep artichokes in the store for long! Artichokes are so versatile and are easily worked into any meal (we love artichoke dip!).
2. Vitamin C: Artichokes provide you with 25% of your daily recommended Vitamin C! Give your immune system a boost with artichokes!
3. Stay Regular: Keep your digestive system happy and healthy with Artichokes, which have high amounts of fiber.
4. Keep a Healthy Liver: Two antioxidants found in artichokes, cynarin, and silymarin, have been shown to improve the overall health of the liver by reducing the presence of toxins.
5. Heart Health: Certain ingredients in artichokes leaves have been found to reduce the levels of bad cholesterol (LDL) and increase the levels of good cholesterol (HDL or omega-3 fatty acids).
Do you have a favorite use for extra citrus? Leave a comment and let us know!